Sunday, August 10, 2014

The Proposal

Around Christmas time in 2013 Ben randomly said to me, "Hey we need to go ring shopping today!" I was so thrilled! We went to Morgan Jewelers and I picked out two rings that I loved. After a long discussion with the salesman (that I was not allowed to be a part of) we left the store. I then asked if we needed to go look anywhere else, and Ben simply said "Nope!". So I pretty much knew he had purchased one of the rings, but now I was in constant wonder for when he would propose. 
When Christmas came I was sure he would do it like on the romantic Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. So I tried to pry details out of my mother who had already been informed on the plan. She reassured me that it wouldn't be during Christmas or New Years and to not worry about it for a while. So I did my best to just forget about it.
On the week of Christmas 2013 Ben came over to my house and asked my dad for his permission to marry me. It was so classic and romantic, I loved it! Although when he asked my dad his response was, "You can have my blessing and permission if you can beat me at a game of foosball!" He was totally joking but had just received a foosball table and was always looking for new challengers. Ben lost the first game, so my whole family joined in (including me) and no one could defeat my dad. Luckily he still gave his blessing. ;)
Just after Christmas Ben informed me that his parents had tickets to Desert Star Playhouse to see their production of Miracle on 42nd Street and they had elected to not use them and to instead spend time with family from out of town. So Ben asked if I would like to go, and I excitedly said yes! I had never been to a play with Ben yet and it sounded like fun as I have enjoyed Desert Star productions in the past. 
On December 28, 2013 Ben picked me up and then we headed to his house to get the tickets for the play and to spend some time with family. I remember feeling like his family seemed to be smiling at me more and just more excited, but at the time I thought nothing of it. His parents gave us the tickets and some money for dinner during the show, and then we headed out about an hour before show time. Ben seemd distracted and not as excited to be at the play as I was. I thought it was strange and kept trying to get him to tell me his thoughts as we waited for the doors to the playhouse to open. He just blamed it on being tired, so I decided to liven things up and began to make up funny stories for the pictures on the wall. We laughed together and he seemed to relax a bit more. We also took some pictures. :)


 























































Then it came time to enter the playhouse. Ben was very sweet (as he always is) by getting my chair for me and allowing me to get my favorite type of pizza (pineapple) for dinner. 


The view from our seats



As we waiting for the show to start, I made this post on Instagram and Facebook.


On a date with this handsome man of mine :) #desertstar #miracleon42ndstreet


Ben still seemed distracted but happy so as the play began I just sat back and enjoyed it. Then it came to the first intermission. We discussed what we thought of the play and other casual things. Then about five minutes before the play began again, Ben turns to me and says, " I have to go to the bathroom in a little bit." I found this strange and told him to hurry and go right then. He insisted that he would wait until the second intermission. The second intermission came and Ben took off right away. It wasn't too strange because I assumed he had to use the restroom.
What he was really doing was picking up yellow roses from the ticket office that he had asked my family to drop off before the play. My whole family had also come to the play. Before I left my house that night my dad was complaining that my mom was making him call in sick to his ushering job, and I thought this was strange because my dad never calls in sick. Although I just shrugged it off. I'm not too good at picking up on surprises. Even when my mom asked why I wasn't more dressy for my date, I didn't even suspect what was about to happen.
So Ben picks up the roses and heads backstage. As I sat at our table the announcer came on stage and began to tell the audience about a contest. He said that sometimes they did a drawing on random nights and gave away a special prize. He said our entries were done by our tickets. So he looks at a ticket, and announces "The winner is Kendra Gates!" I was stunned! Also I was confused because at this point I had figured out that Ben and I's tickets said Dan Epperson (Ben's father), so how would they know MY name. The announcer then asked where I was, so I stood up with a confused smile on my face. It was at this point that I knew something was about to happen. He then invited me to come up on stage. I then made it to the stage and the announcer looked to me and said "Here is your prize!" as he gestured toward the other side of the stage. Then Ben comes walking out with a dozen yellow roses (my favorite). My little sister Keisha took a video of what happened next.



I was SO surprised and SO happy!! I hardly knew how to react. When Ben proposed, I was still in shock so my yes was more like a yes? instead of yes! It's funny to look back on now. Then when Ben tried to put my ring on it was funny because I had my CTR promise ring on that finger that I had worn since he left for his mission. Since we were on stage we felt rushed so he ended up just putting it on in addition the the CTR ring. :) That first dance as an engaged couple was also quite fun. It gave us time to talk about how much we loved each other and how happy we were to be engaged. Also how surprised I was! Then as we returned to our seats I saw my little sister Alexia sitting in my seat. I was even more surprised and happy when I learned that my whole family had been there the whole time and had gotten it all on camera for me. 


We visited with my family, and then returned to our seats for the rest of the show. It was so fun to then be congratulated by so many strangers after the play. Then we began to spread the exciting news. I felt like the happiest girl alive that night! It was simply the perfect proposal for me. 














No comments:

Post a Comment